Jacobs University is one of the younger existing universities, yet it has already proven its ability to produce quality education in its 21 years as a functioning institution. As of 2022, the private university has a student body of over 1,600 enrolled students looking to benefit from its teachings, and its achievements do not stop there.
The university aims to cater to an international selection of students whilst allowing them to indulge in all that the city of Bremen, Germany, where the university is located, has to offer. As such, the university offers courses in the English language, attracting a wide range of students that make up the 110 student nationalities that the university now represents.
Furthermore, in the university’s youth, the institution has already achieved accolades for their work in education. Jacob’s University has been regarded in the top 30% of universities worldwide, and has been ranked the most international university in Germany, whilst also being regarded as the highest among young universities for teaching in the country.
Additionally, the university has been regarded highly by researchers, being ranked in the top ten among a list of almost 100 universities in Germany, whilst multiple subjects that the university offers have been highly regarded in Germany's Center for Higher Education ranking.Thus, the university has proven its potential in educating in both undergraduate and postgraduate areas.
Jacobs University campus is divided between four colleges for both living and working, and they are: Alfried Krupp College, Mercator College, College III and College Nordemetall.
Each college has its own community colour and mascot, influencing a school spirit and college community that allows students the comfortability and sociability that they will need alongside their studies.
Studies are divided between international foundation year courses, undergraduate courses, graduate courses, and executive education courses, which offer the following areas of study:
International Foundation Year
These are designed to enhance the academic and personal skills of international students enrolled for the courses.
- English and Academic Literacy
- Basic or Advanced Mathematics
- Coding and Computational Thinking
- Personal Development
- Exam Preparation (for the Jacobs University entrance exam)
- Computer Science
- Computer Science and Software Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Industrial Engineering and Management
- Robotics and Intelligent Systems
- Biochemistry and Cell Biology
- Chemistry and Biotechnology
- Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Medicinal Chemistry and Chemical Biology
- Global Economics and Management
- Integrated Social and Cognitive Psychology
- International Business Administration
- International Relations: Politics and History
- Society, Media and Politics
- Computer Software and Software Engineering
- Data Engineering
- Data Science for Society and Business
- International Relations: Global Governance and Social Theory
- Psychologie (for Psychology graduates who speak both German and English)
- Supply Chain Management
A PhD can be obtained in two ways, namely:
- Through individualised research-oriented degrees and structured PhD programmes via the Bremen International Graduate School of Social Sciences
- Through a collaboratively formulated graduate programme in Marine Microbiology
- Applied Machine Learning
- Blockchain - Bitcoin and Ethereum
- Cloud Computing
- Data-Driven Business
- Product Development
- Purchasing Excellence
- Python Programming
- These programmes can be created to cater towards business units, departments of organisations and are completed with the intention of improving teams or groups of individuals within a business
There are some German language courses available to be taken as a minor alongside major subjects as well, for English-speaking students to grow accustomed to life in Germany. Finally, for more information about Jacobs University, visit their official website here.